Your privacy is important
At Robert Walters your right to privacy is important. The following statement outlines how Robert Walters manages personal information that it holds about individuals.
Personal information- what is it?
Personal information is any information or an opinion about you (whether true or not) from which Robert Walters can determine your identity.
It may range from the very sensitive (eg. medical history or condition) to the everyday (e.g. address and phone number). It would include the opinions of others about your work performance (whether true or not), your work experience and qualifications, psychometric assessment results and other information obtained by Robert Walters in connection with your possible work placements.
Personal information includes sensitive information.
Sensitive information - what is it?
When personal information concerns certain matters it is considered sensitive information. It is information or opinion about your:
- racial or ethnic origin;
- political opinion, membership of a political association;
- religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs;
- membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union;
- sexual preferences or practices;
- criminal record;
Robert Walters will only collect, use or disclose sensitive information about you in accordance with the law.
In most cases, Robert Walters will only collect, use or disclose sensitive information where it has received your consent.
Who will be collecting your personal information?
Your personal information will be collected by Robert Walters to provide you with recruitment services.
Robert Walters may also collect your personal information on behalf of Resource Solutions (a member of the Robert Walters Group) in connection with the provision of recruitment services to you.
How your information will be collected?
Generally, Robert Walters collects personal information directly from you. For example, it collects personal information when you:
- deal with Robert Walters in person, by telephone, letter, fax or email;
- supply a resume;
- fill out and submit a registration form;
- submit any other information in connection with your application for registration;
- complete psychometric assessments.
Personal information about you may also be collected from a third party. For example when Robert Walters receives:
- any reference about you;
- results of inquiries of former employers, work colleagues, professional associations or registration body;
- the results of any psychometric, competency or medical test;
- performance feedback (whether positive or negative);
- any complaint from or about you in the workplace;
- any information about a workplace accident in which you are involved;
- any information about any insurance investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry in which you are involved.
If Robert Walters does not have your prior consent, it will take reasonable steps to inform you that it has collected personal information from a third party and ensure you are aware of the purposes for which Robert Walters has collected your personal information.
How Robert Walters may use and disclose your personal information?
Robert Walters may use and disclose the personal information it collects about you for the following purposes:
- to provide recruitment services to you;
- for other purposes for which you have engaged Robert Walters.
Robert Walters may also disclose your personal information to a third party if they have a proper interest in the disclosure, such as:
- a member of the Robert Walters Group;
- Robert Walters insurers;
- a professional association or registration body;
- a workers compensation body;
If Robert Walters engages a third party contractor to perform services which involves handling personal information, it takes reasonable steps to prohibit the contractor from using personal information except for the purposes for which it was supplied.
If you do not give Robert Walters the information it seeks
If you do not give Robert Walters the information it seeks, it is unable to provide you with recruitment services.
Security of your personal information
Robert Walters holds personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper-based files.
Robert Walters has security procedures in place to protect the personal information it holds from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Robert Walters uses a number of processes to protect your personal information including:
- locks and security systems;
- computer pass words and limited access to shared network drives to authorised staff;
- virus checking;
- auditing procedures and data integrity checks;
- recording of file movements;
- security classification to identify information needing special protection.
Robert Walters will keep your personal information no longer than necessary. Robert Walters will appropriately dispose of your personal information so that it is protected from unauthorised use or disclosure.
You can request access to your information
You may request access to any personal information Robert Walters holds about you, subject to the Privacy Act. Your request to obtain access will be dealt with in a reasonable time. Robert Walters may charge a fee to cover the reasonable costs of retrieval and supply of the information to you.
Robert Walters is not always required to provide you with access to your personal information on request.
Robert Walters may refuse your access to personal information in a number of circumstances, such as where denying access is required or authorised by law or where the request is vexatious or frivolous.
If Robert Walters denies your request for access it will provide you with reasons for the refusal.
Keeping your personal information up to date
Robert Walters takes reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date.
Robert Walters may also contact you from time to time to check that the information is still correct.
If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information Robert Walters holds about you is not accurate, complete and up to date, Robert Walters will take reasonable steps to correct it.
If Robert Walters is unable to agree that the personal information it holds about you is accurate, complete and up to date, you may ask Robert Walters to place with the information, a statement by you claiming that the information is not accurate, complete and up to date.
Transfer of your personal information overseas
Robert Walters does not transfer your personal information overseas unless it is authorised to do so by law or you have consented to it as part of the recruitment services it provides to you.
Robert Walters may store your personal information on a server overseas. By providing personal information via Robert Walters’ website you agree your information may be transferred to servers located overseas.
How to contact us
If you wish to gain access or correct your personal information or make a complaint about a breach of your privacy, contact the Legal Counsel, Asia Pacific.